School of Nursing and Human Sciences, Dublin City University
Who should apply?
Practitioners who are likely to utilise minor surgical procedures in a variety of settings including A&E, Dermatology, Theatres or Primary Care settings. Candidates must be working in a relevant setting and have a clinical practice supervisor identified to support them in their learning.
To develop and consolidate minor surgical skills capability.
Module content to include:
- Patient assessment and treatment options
- Lesion identification and management
- Local anaesthesia administration
- Suturing: materials/techniques/ wound-closure
- Punch biopsies and curettage
- Ellipse marking and excision
- Abscesses/cyst/in-grown toenail management
- Wound/sharp debridement
- Discharge advice and aftercare
- Clinical governance/medico-legal aspects
- Protocol development/audit
This DCU accredited, stand-alone, blended learning module incorporates 4 days attendance in DCU, over a 12 week semester combined with online learning activities. The module is NMBI* approved (special purpose award) and pending CPD accreditation with IMC.
Commencing: February 2018
Application will close: 20th October 2017
Credit/Level: Level 9, 10 ECTS Credits NMBI Special Purpose Award
Module code: NS5057
Cost of module: €850
Application forms are available from:
Faculty of Science and Health. Dublin City University,
T: +353 (0) 1 700 8975
For further information contact: Joseph Bonham E: firstname.lastname@example.org or Therese Leufer E: email@example.com
*NMBI – Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland ** IMC – Irish Medical Council